Skip to content
Banana Katsu with Red Currants
- Type: Dessert
- Time: 30 min
- Servings: 2
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 3 Tablespoons panko (Japanese-style breadcrumbs)
- 2 Large bananas, peeled
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Powdered sugar
- 4 Scoops vanilla ice cream
- Tablespoons CurrantC™ Red Currants
- Sprigs of fresh mint (optional)
- Place the flour in a bowl, the beaten egg in another, and the breadcrumbs in a third.
- One at a time, dip the bananas first in the flour, then the egg, and finally dredge through the breadcrumbs until evenly coated.
- Add about 2 inches of oil to a medium saucepan.
- Heat over medium-high until the oil reaches 350 degrees
- Add the bananas and fry for 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the bananas from the oil and set aside on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Dust the bananas with powdered sugar.
- Place each banana on a serving plate.
- Add two scoops of ice cream and, if desired, garnish with Red Currants and fresh mint.