Fantastic with goat's cheese, sausages or cold meats
- Type: Preserve
- Time: 55
- Servings: 400g pot
- 2 medium red onions, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 1 small red pepper, seeded and cut into small chunks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 plump red chili, seeded and chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small knob fresh ginger, chopped
- 200ml red wine vinegar
- 140g light muscovado sugar
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- 200 grams CurrantC™ Black Currants
Toss the onions with the red pepper and the oil, then fry in a frying pan for 5-8 mins over a high heat until lightly charred and softened. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Put the chilli, garlic and ginger in the pan with half the vinegar.
- Bring to the boil then simmer for 2-3 mins.
- Add the onions and pepper plus the remaining vinegar, all the sugar, spice and 1 tsp salt.
- Bring to the boil then bubble away for about 5 mins until thickened.
- Add currants and simmer for about 5 mins more, or until they have burst, but still have some shape and the liquid is syrupy.
- Remove and pour into a large heatproof jar.
- Cover and seal while hot.