Apple and Black Currant Pie
- Type: Dessert
- Prep Time: 35 min
- Bake Time: 45 min
- Servings: 8
While you can't go wrong with a classic apple pie, blackcurrants give this go-to cool-weather dessert a tangy twist and rich purple colour. The winning combination of a slightly tart filling, golden, buttery pastry and a side of cream or ice-cream (or both!) will have you going back for seconds.
2 2/3 Cups all purpose (plain) flour
- 1 Pinch salt
- 3/4 Cups butter (cubed)
- 2 Tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 Cup iced water + extra, as required
- 2 Large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 Pound tart apples, such as Granny Smiths
- 1 Cup frozen CurrantC™ Black Currants
- 1/3 Cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 Teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon milk
Preheat oven to 400º F
- Lightly grease a 9-inch pie pan.
- Process the flour, salt, and butter in a food processor until the mix resembles fine crumbs.
- Add confectioner's sugar and blend.
- Combine water and egg yolk in a small bowl and gradually add to the flour mixture until it comes together as a dough.
- Transfer to a lightly floured work surface and shape into two (2) disks.
- Cover with plastic wrap (cling film), and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll the pastry disks out on a lightly floured work surface to 1/4 inch thick.
- Line the prepared pan with one of the disks, leaving any excess pastry hanging over the edge.
- Place the other disk on a plate a refrigerate both for 30 minutes.
- Peel, core, and slice the apples into a medium bowl.
- Add the Black Currants, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and lemon zest and toss to coat.
- Spoon the filling into the prepared pie pan and dot with butter.
- Lay the remaining pastry disk on top, pinch the edges to seal.
- Trim off any excess pastry.
- Create leaves and Black Currants out of the remaning pastry to decorate the top.
- Beat the egg yolk and milk in a small bowl and brush over the pastry.
- Cut a few slits in the pastry using a small knife to allow steam to escape during baking.
- Bake for 40 - 45 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and the filling is cooked.
Serve warm or at room temperature with scoops of vanilla bean ice cream.